Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Divided Selves



This is the time of the year that most of us often reflect on ourselves and look at what we want the new year to be. Often we start with new resolutions and plans to change the old habits. As we move through this process it is good to remember that we, as beings, are divided into the three selves of mind, body and soul.

So often we forget that bringing these three into balance is the key to having the success in bringing our personal goals into focus. As we reflect we can see that our soul calls to the mind, which sets the goals, and the body follows in pursuit of action.

The first time I personally became aware of the division of the three, was in a time of grieving. I discovered that my mind knew that the person I had lost was in a much better place away from pain and illness. It was my body, in the form of my heart, that picked up the grief and loss. Tears flowed out beyond my own control of missing the person and feeling alone.

I think it was a month later that I was driving home from buying groceries. I was sitting at a stop sign, when I felt an overwhelming sensation of presence of the person who passed. It was so strong, and the love that I felt at that moment was instant recognition of that person's soul who I had lost.

I guess you could describe it when you greatly love someone you hadn't seen in a long time. They walk into the room, and our heart swells up with joy of being together again. It only lasted for a few seconds, but the experience was huge and the knowing that that person's energy was all around me at the time never left me.

I realized for the first time that it was my soul that knew before my body and mind that something incredible had happened.

It was a few years later when I decided that I needed to lose a few pounds. I discovered that I could make a decision with my mind to lose the weight but if my heart and soul were not in it I was lost. Once this was established, my body was ready for the change and followed in action to success. It was all about making sure that the three were balanced and on the same plan.

There are times in our busy schedules, when we don't take the time to check to see if we are in balance, and wonder why we are not able to keep the goals we set for ourselves. The way God created us is beyond anything we could ever imagine, but it only takes a few minutes to stop and check to see if we are in line. So often we take better care of our possessions and others than we do ourselves.

So when something is not working give yourself a break, be gentle with yourself, and take a little time to do a self check to see where you are. And please know that you are a miracle in itself, just as you are.

Enjoy the New Year!
Ana

No comments: