Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Wedding Pot

A few years ago as I was getting ready for a friend to come over for tea, I decided to pull out my grandmother's old tea cups to make it a little special and honor her. When I looked in our old china cabinet for the cups I found a gift from my wedding 19 years ago.

There it was, displayed in the case for show, but long forgotten. What really struck me as I picked it up was that I was transported back to that time. There I was sitting in my friend's living-room in the past opening a box and pulling out the wedding pot and examining every inch.

One of the traditions that my friend told me as I held it in my hands was that the Pueblo Native Americans where we lived, give a Wedding pot to the newly-weds as a gift. It was a vessel with two separate openings at the top which flowed down into the belly representing the two becoming one joined together, holding life within.

Beautiful story, I remember saying but as I held it I dropped it and it cracked. "Oh No", I said as an overwhelming sadness came over me, but my friend pick it up and said," Ana, "it's OK and I am glad that happened because you need to understand that nothing is perfect. Life is certainly not perfect and marriage is not perfect."

"There are cracks in everything as there are many disappointments in life but the real key is the love and the extra care that glues it back together that becomes the strength of the vessel. "

Then time began to move again from the past to the present as my marriage flashed before me in a collage of pictures and emotions, some bitter and some sweet. Life was such a good teacher and here in my hands was a small reminder of what life was all about.

As I placed the pot back in it's spot I could hear the doorbell ring. It was time for tea.

No comments: