Friday, March 6, 2015

"The Pill"

Awhile ago, it was pouring down rain and I was frantically hurrying because I was late in meeting my good friend for lunch. Since I was in such a hurry, I got in the wrong lane and had to drive around the block which made me even later, since I had to wait again for the light to change.

As I rushed in the door, I saw my friend who smiled and waved. Of course, I immediately apologized and quickly sat down feeling as if my day was already starting out to be a little off. As she looked at my face she said that she was having one of those days to and shared with me an experience that made her feel rather out of line with the things that were going on around her. Then she ended her story with, "And so I guess I took my pill".

"Pill", I said "What Pill"? "Oh", "didn't I tell you?" She said..... " I took my stupid pill." "Your what?" "My stupid pill", she said. "I take it sometimes without thinking and when I am doing something really dumb, I realize that I took my stupid pill."

Of course this brought on some amazing stories of pain, suffering, being frightened and crazy events along with enormous amounts of laughter as we reminisced over our lives and taking that pill.

I guess it was later, in the afternoon as we walked out back out onto the rainy street that I realized how wonderful it was to know that there was a pill, that we all take in life. And even if it was painful at the time, we could look back and laugh.....

Photo by Steve Noyce

No comments: