Sunday, June 7, 2015

"The Soul Mate"

I once had a friend that asked me what I thought about Soul Mates? I had thought about it and always believed that my husband whom I have a wonderful marriage of 18 years was my Soul Mate. This had been a hot topic in our marriage because he disagreed.

My idea of a Soul Mate was this childhood fancy of someone made in the universe that was made just for me. The perfect union of souls and love, come together with the blessings of the Creator Himself along with his band of angels.

"No," he would argue "I love you and I choose to be with you in this life." We finely agreed to just disagree with the whole mess. So when others brought up this topic we would smile at each other as the violins began to play for me and he would set his chin firmly and we would walk away.

It wasn't until a friend invited me to a Healing seminar when the teacher came in and started talking about Soul Mates. I was so excited because now I had someone of authority who could validate my feelings and I could triumphantly bring this to my husband's attention.

The whole talk went like this... Most people have it wrong when they think that a Soul Mate is someone out there in the world that was hand tailored for you and only you. A Soul Mate is not about a romantic love as we see in Fairy Tales but a person who will bring out your Shadow Side. This is a person who's task is to make us uncomfortable enough to change or move in the way that the Creator has designed for us. Another words "They can kick you in the teeth to get you to grow spiritually."

What most people get confused about is the Life Mate. The person in our lives who is there for us by being there as a person who will cherish, support, love and help us in life as we grow and as we will do the same for them.

Well, this hit home because I had realized that the number one person in my life was more than special but someone that I could always count on even when my shadow side slipped out. We had been there for each other in the good and the bad and never was there a question of not loving the other.

It was a long drive home but when I got home, there was my adoring husband anxiously awaiting my return...

Building Photograph by Steve Noyce
Cats Photograph by Cameron

No comments: