Monday, July 27, 2015

"What is in a Word?"

I used to play a word association game with my friends when we would get bored as I was growing up. The way it worked was that my friend or I would say a word and the other one would say the first thing that came into their head. We got the idea from some detective show that we watched on television and it was a fun way to pass the time. Now as I look back I see that not only does a word have more than one meaning it has plays a huge part in understanding how we are connecting to each other, ourselves and to the Universe.

The idea behind the game is that each word has some kind of meaning or attachment to it. Bear with me as I know you already know this but the interesting thing is to take it a step further... So, for example, even a simple word like woman has different meanings to different generations. I found this out when I asked some women who were in their 70's what the word woman meant to them. They said, it meant meant hardship, no equal pay in the workforce, pain and struggling. Then I asked some of my friends who are in their 40's what the word woman meant to them and I got back nurturing, caring for the family, being their for others. When I asked someone ladies in their early 20's they said it meant power, getting out in the world and making a place for themselves, Being in charge of the workforce and others.

The reason I bring this up is that I was having lunch with a friend the other day and we were talking about how we attract things to us with our thoughts which send signals into our energy fields that tell the rest of the world what we desire in our lives. This of course lead us into talking about the different associations we have with words.

Now think about this... What do you think when you think of abundance? When talking to some people it meant having more money and physical things in their lives while others said it meant to have more love. Then I asked about the word money. Again I got different meanings spanning from, joy of spending, hoarding it, not enough, to the root of all evil. It was different for each person depending on their experiences or even what was imprinted on them from their families and culture. This really brings to mind a saying that I used to hear in old western movies which was, "Man speaks with forked tongue". I get that now! I know it wasn't a nice statement in the movie but playing this word game it makes so much more sense.

So think about this.. What are you saying actually saying when you are trying to attract something into your life?

Photograph #1 by Ana
Photograph #2 by Angelique


No comments: