Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Repost "Lavender Oil"

In 2010 I had been organizing and hosting a Healing Circle in Arlington, TX for several years so when I was asked to set up and organize a Healing Circle at a local Acupuncture clinic in Fort Worth, TX, I couldn't help being excited in expanding the Circle to another venue. The premise of the Circle was to invite various holistic teachers and healers to speak to the groups that gathered once a month informing them about the different healing modalities that were available. This included essential oils, energy medicine, healing colors, Reiki, massage, music therapy, sound healing, prayer etc...

It was at one of these Healing Circles that I had the honor of making the acquaintance with a women named Carol through a mutual friend who organized and put together the Healing Arts program at one of the local hospitals in Fort Worth, TX. The program was a way of using both western and holistic medicine that complimented each other in helping with the healing process.

Carol was a nurse and one of her specialties in the Healing Arts program was working with the patients using essential oils as a compliment to their stay at the hospital. She came to speak at one of the Healing Circles and her subject that evening was on Lavender Oil. What I remember that really stood out about Lavender oil was using it on burns. This information would become very crucial in my life when I had an emergency later on down the road.

 A few years later I was hosting a family get-together at our home in Arlington and had just made a pot of tea on our electric stove in the kitchen when my sister-in-law who was keeping me company and was telling me a story placed the palm of her hand down on the hot stove. I have to say that both of us were shocked and I grabbed her hand and took her to the sink instantly running cold water on it. I then ran to the bathroom remembering the Lavender oil and the talk that Carol did at the Healing Circle. Grabbing the oil I took her hand and drenched it in the essential oil. Then we used ice cubes on her hand to help numb the pain. Not sure what else to do we talked about the lavender oil and what I had learned at the Circle that Carol had spoken at.

My sister-in-law called me the next day and told me that she didn't have any pain and the skin on her hand was not coming off or even marred. I still was in shock about the whole thing but it wasn't until a few months later when my son had made a pizza and left the hot pan on the stove that I found out just how well the lavender oil worked first hand. ( No pun intended) I came in that day and saw the pan not knowing that it was hot and picked it up only to drop it on the floor burning my fingers. Again I ran for the lavender oil. I used the cool water to sooth the pain and then placed the oil on my burnt fingers. I then used ice cubes to help with the pain. It was painful but the next day I looked at my fingers thinking they would blister up but the skin was good. The pads on the fingers were as if I hadn't burned myself. It was crazy!

I ended up calling Carol and talking to her about the oil as I wanted to know a little more about it. She explained that there were two different kinds of lavender plants that the Lavender oil was made out of for different uses. She warned me to be careful on which one I was using because it could be bad if I used the wrong one. She gave me the names of the different plants but I couldn't remember them when I got off the phone as they were long names and I didn't write them down. However I did know that the Lavender oil I used worked. So now I only buy the two brands that I know worked for me.

When I tell people about those experiences I warn people that there are two different kinds of lavender plants and they might want to "Google" it if they wanted to know more. For me I use the "Young Living" Lavender essential Oil and the other brand I keep on hand is "Aura Cacia." I found out later that Carol was invited to speak in Japan about the essential oils she uses for the Healing Arts program at the hospital. She still works with the Healing Arts program at the hospital in Fort Worth, TX, even today.

 1st photo taken in Ft Worth, TX by Ana, 2nd photo taken in San Francisco in Napa Valley by Steve 

No comments: