Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Merging of Tribes

I noticed something on our vacation as we went to visit our family in California these past two weeks. I noticed that within each tribe (or family unit) there are different family traditions and protocols that are unique to each family. As we were visiting it was wonderful to be included in the different activities of each family as we went to see my side of the family in Los Angeles and then my husbands side in San Francisco.

I became conscious that even the environment played a big part in how each family interacted with each other. Some of our family live in a canyon and the other side lives on the top of a hill overlooking a valley. Afterwards, our immediate family traveled back to Texas which is rather flat. There were different kinds of food and traditions that went with living in each geographic location as we went from hot to cold then up and down. Even the roads were different as we moved on flat roads to narrow roads to roads that made a switch back all the way up to the top of a large hill.

Of course, I discovered that our little family of four has its own culture and even its own language in which we communicate with each other which is unique to us as it is built within our own family community. As all of our family tribes blended their energies and love for each other together it was an exciting mix of how we all worked together sharing our own customs and tribal languages with each other on a bigger perspective. This only made it all the more enticing as I enjoyed learning what each family tribe brought to the whole experience when we were all together.

Then there were times when each family needed to do some down time to regroup during the day or evening to get ready for another blending of the tribes. On a few occasions, I did find myself a little uncomfortable only to realize it was because I was experiencing something different in which I allowed myself to explore what was going on around me only to find that I was delighted by the outcome.

The experience was much like sampling many different types of ethnic foods from other parts of the world as we discovered things about ourselves and our own traditions within our close family tribes as we all come together as a whole. When I expanded my awareness to a broader spectrum I saw the world with all the different countries where each of the tribes had their own cultures, customs, and languages. I realized that even on the bigger scale we are not so much different on the smaller scale as we learn about each other. It all made me pause for a moment as I explored the possibilities of the whole world merging together as one family unit melting together as one tribe.  



No comments: