Friday, April 17, 2015

"The Stone People"

My love for stones started very early in life. My mother used to tell the story of when I was a toddler and would sit out in the driveway putting stones in my mouth. People would ask her if she was afraid that I would swallow them but she said that I never did, so she didn't think it would do any harm to let me do it. Years later I used to join my father in Taos, New Mexico where he had an art gallery and would set up his tepee for the summer. When I was there I would help him gather stones for the fireplace and sit around the fire in the evening listening to him tell stories. Some of his stories were about the stone people reminding me to have respect for all things.

I always enjoyed my dad's stories but I used to think that he was making it all up until I was in my early thirties and was sitting in the living room one day knitting. On that one particular day I was feeling so happy and full of love that I ended up shooting out of my body from the top of my head and merged into a brilliant bright light of pure consciousness. Any worries that I had at the time dropped to the floor like discarded clothing. From there high above my physical form I could see and experience everything around me and in me made out of complete unconditional love. I was fully aware at that time that everything in the room and anything that existed was made up of one consciousnesses. I also understood that I was only a tiny speck connected to it all and so was everything beyond what I could imagine. Even what I thought were empty spaces held this one consciousnesses as the tiny particles that made up the air were a part of it, as nothing was separated from it.

In that moment of full awareness my attention fell upon the rocks that I had collected sitting on my fireplace. Immediately I recognized they were a part of that same consciousness and I could see the tiny atoms bumping around in different sequences making up the physical form of the energy that held them together. I knew in that moment that my father had been right all along and that he was not just telling stories. After that experience I started to become sensitive to energy patterns and of course one of the things that drew my attention were stones. As I worked with them as an artist I could also see how the different energy patterns of stones affected the subtle energy bodies. Later on as an energy practitioner I also learned that we were attracted to the various stones according to what we needed in our energy fields. An analogy of this is when our body has a food craving and we seek a particular kind of food as our body needs certain nutrients from it.

Since matter is also made up of an ethereal substance the atoms and subtle energy in our bodies can also become out of balanced like our physical forms causing us to be attracted to things in our lives that we crave to help us find balance. This is not to be mixed up with the mind following the ego but the feeling we get when we actually hold a stone in our hands feeling it's energy as that is the energy pattern we are seeking to help us balance our energy fields. Our energy fields finds the atomic pattern and copies that into our field making us feel that feeling of peace as it rebalances itself.

Now, I do want to make a note: That I am not going to say that I don't love stones and gemstones because of their looks and sparkle... but there is also a feeling of balance that moves through the soul that has nothing to do with looks which is very much a part of our own energy make up. The other point was something my father used to say which was that, "The stone people like everything else in the physical world are only there for us as teachers, the rest is up to us."

To learn more about stones and their energy I would recommend...

The book of Stones: Who They Are and What They Teach, by Robert Simmons and Naisha Ahsian


Also please join me at the Artini Art Gallery as I continue to share my own passion for stones.  

Photographs by Ana

No comments: