Friday, February 14, 2014

Balance of the Ego

I know that many people talk about egos, and there have been books written about it. We all know that a healthy ego is one that we want to have in our own lives, but then there are those experiences where we find that the ego comes out like a mother bear protecting her cub.

As an artist I look at things from many different directions, and when I talk to people I try to see things from their view point along with my own. I have to admit if there is an emotional trigger I am likely to see their viewpoint later on after an encounter. I know that many have had that experience as the thoughts will run through the mind like, "I should have said this, or maybe I should have reacted this way instead of that way". The word should is the key to this line of thinking.

As human beings we are always in situations were the ego is tested unless we remove ourselves from society. Somehow I don't think, or believe that is the answer. What I have found is that we all play those parts of being teachers even when we aren't conscious of it. From both sides we play the parts of the character like the little boy named "Dennis the Menace" who pushes buttons to watch people's heads spin around. From one view point it is all about what the reaction will be or what will happen to us if we do. Another angle could be a wound that was reflected back causing the buttons to be pushed in a response.

On the other side I find that when we look emotional triggers whatever they may be as that part of us that is somehow being mirrored back in our own egos. When we react to something that has such a strong emotional attachment within ourselves then that is when we need to look at the wound that is being prodded causing the ego to respond. If we are in that state of grace where we are in balance with our ego then the emotional reaction is not going to react. Then I have to wonder if we are looking for healing within ourselves that is that state of grace where we are learning, and grateful for each other in our lives that help us to work on ourselves. Again it is all about learning who we are and all about finding how we tick. 

No comments: