Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Conversation of Food

When I was growing up there were a few things my mother taught me not to bring up in polite conversation one was religion, and the other was politics as people may have very strong opinions. What she didn't tell me was that food was another one of those topics that can push people's buttons. This all came to me as a complete surprise when I found that it did. It is one of those subjects that we all believe is quite innocent, but for most people when you bring up food, or food habits there may be a force to reckon with.

I found it surprising that people have their own eating habits, and like religion don't like to be converted to someone else's idea of how it all works. I mean think about it... I am not talking about dieting to lose weight, but eating just in general.  Amazingly the idea of being vegetarian, vegan, or eating meat brings out people's judgments, or prejudice of how eating should occur. What I find really fascinating is that not only do people have all different ways of eating to maintain their body, but it all breaks down differently with each person.

My daughter for instance has her own particular way of eating than the way I do. If she tries to eat what I eat often her stomach hurts her. On the other hand when I try to eat what she is eating it affects me a lot different than it does her. Now we are both from the same household, but it seems that our bodies process food very different from each other. I do know that even though she carries some of my gene pattern she also carries her fathers. People in other parts of the world eat things that others in other parts of the world do not. Some people may be able to eat more meat where others have to settle on rice, or vegetables. With our world today we all seem to be a bigger melting pot which affects our gene pool changing the way our bodies process things. Then we all get thrown into a culture that has it's own unique eating patterns, and we try to adapt.

In my own case I have had people adamantly show me the food pyramid that we teach in our schools here in the states. I've been lectured about how this program is all about balancing milk, grains, meat, and veggies. Yet I have heard others complain that our bodies were not meant to process milk. Then I have heard the argument that meat is not good for our bodies taking to long to breakdown in our stomachs. Also there are those who believe that grains are not at all good for our bodies either. People who like meat will argue that you must have your meat, or the body will not function right. The vegans, and the vegetarians have their own arguments. When you break it all down you have to wonder what then do we really have left to eat? Again what I find is that eating habits tend to be very unique to each individual, and each person I have talked to seem to be very passionate about their beliefs in the way that the body process food. In this case there is no way in convincing them into trying something different.

On a whole other perspective I have also noticed like everything else in the universe our bodies all vibrate at different frequencies. Like a fingerprint we are all unique. It is because of this that we each have our own way of processing, and breaking down food which is also energy that turns into fuel. So it only makes sense that we as human beings have to find the right way to eat that works for us to get the more efficient fuel for our bodies. The good news is that there is so much information, and so many different kinds of food that we have many choices to choose from.  The key is to find what works for you, and know that others have to find what works for them. What an exciting world we live in, and how wonderful that we are all unique!


No comments: