Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Fear of the Unknown

I have to admit that when I was growing up I didn't like it when all the lights were out. I remember telling my Dad about the way I felt, and he assured me that there was nothing in the dark that wasn't there in the light. Then he would tell me that if I took the time to go, and investigate I would know that the thing that scared me the most was really the unknown. Years later I see that my father was right.

One of the things that I have noticed is when we really don't have knowledge of something, or we only see it from one angle can also crate fear as we don't know what is that's on the other side. This is a lot like being in the dark. The funny thing about fear of the unknown is the thought.  I mean think about it.  If someone asked you what you were afraid of, and you said, "I don't know?" Then really what is there to be afraid of?

I once took a class from a teacher who is a fire walker, and the thing that he expressed about fear is that sometimes the other side of fear is really moving out of our place of being comfortable. Okay, a little fear is good since it may keep us out of trouble, but when we operate our lives out of fear then really what does that accomplish? What is it that we are missing out if we are to afraid to explore our fear, and see if it is really something to be fearful of. 

No comments: