Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Gift of Nightmares

I don't know about you, but in the past I have not been a real fan of nightmares. They have caused a great deal of stress when I am dreaming, and waking up from them as I have tried calming myself after experience one. In my own experience I have found that my heart would be racing, or I would wake up in a sweat from my body trying to process everything that happened in the dream. Once I am able recognize that I am okay then I usually dismiss the nightmare as something that doesn't affect me trying to forget it as I go back to sleep.

This has changed in the last few months as I have been doing some personal healing work in my own life. As an artist I have been trying to look at my fears from different perspectives that hold me back along with learning about the situations that I place myself in. As I have been doing the healing work I discovered how valuable nightmares can be in releasing, and learning about what is going on with my whole being on many other levels.

When I am seriously focusing on a fear learning how it all works I find that my dream life relives the fear by playing out different scenarios allowing me to experience it in other ways. Since I am dealing with my fear it usually takes the form of a nightmare. It is when I really take the time to analyze it examining what the nightmare is all about I usually find that it helps me to expand my understanding of my fears in my waking life.

What amazes me is that when I look at the dream I can see the whole picture from a much broader perspective. I can also witness the roles that others play in my life seeing how my own choices cause me to create situations that play out my fears that I feel hold me captive in my physical life experience. By really exploring these nightmares when I wake up I began to see solutions, and how to maneuver my way out of the situations that cause me stress.

Nightmares are incredibly valuable when wanting to learn about yourself, and even learning about patterns that block us in our own lives. I know that sometimes we don't want to remember the nightmare as it it can be alarming, but when we take the time to explore the darkness we often can bring light to that which we are most afraid of. It is also the safest way of learning about one's self without having to experience it in our physical reality.

No comments: