Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rose Colored Glasses


If you have ever worn a pair of rose colored glasses then you know where I am heading in this entry. Unfortunately for me, mine fell off a year ago last February and shattered into a million pieces. I would like to tell you that I was much happier then when I had them but that was not the case. The only difference was, when I didn't want to deal with something I just put them on and things seemed to be just fine.

I am not going to lie to you and tell you that I was happy that they were broken because I spent hours trying to super glue them back together. You seem to only get issued one pair when we come into this life and I had taken very good care of mine. I know that many had lost or broken theirs when 911 happened but mine were still in very good condition.

As I looked around and discovered the things that I didn't want to face were still out there. I started to see and envy others who still had their glasses. Truly this was unjust as I began to notice the things around me that were not what they seemed under the influence of the glasses. Now not only did I have to face the reality of the truth. I had to deal with others who wore their glasses.

Talk about a double whammy. This is like going cold turkey with a major addiction. Fortunately for me, I had a few of my friends and teachers who had gone though this initiation and they were able to pull me out of the fire. For the first five months I thought I was going insane as I had to allow myself to see and experience things around me that I knew were out there but was afraid to see.

I would say that the closest people around me who knew about the loss of the glasses understood the fear that I was experiencing and helped me move through that time in my life. Those who did not, wore their glasses and went though their everyday existence as though nothing had changed.

Now looking back and having survived that whole experience I find that I am more in tune with my life and the world around me. I could even go as far to say that things taste and feel better to me then they did before. I realized to, that breaking my glasses was the best thing that could have happened in my life for now I am really free to experience it the way that we were intended to.

Peace,
Ana

No comments: